Sunday, January 20, 2013

Vittles in the DMV - Green Pig Bistro

On Friday, I paid my first visit to Green Pig Bistro in Clarendon.  It had been on my list of places to try, so when my friend Ben mentioned it while throwing out ideas for his birthday dinner, I happily agreed. We've both passed the restaurant on several occasions and noticed it always seems rather busy.  Ben was able to score a reservation for 10 of us, so I spent the week perusing the menu in anticipation of what I would order.

We were seated a communal table, which was initially a bit weird since the end of the table was already full with another party.  Turns out they were good table mates and we hardly noticed them there.  The menu is quite interesting, featuring everything from lasagna (Friday's Plate of the Day) to octopus and of course, lots of pork.  Green Pig Bistro is a French-American restaurant and prides itself on using all parts of a product, serving "obscure cuts of meat."

 Our waiter was attentive and very patient with our large and at times indecisive group.  The items on the menu he highlighted were the pig tacos, buffalo ribs, steak, grouper and rabbit cakes.  We ordered the buffalo ribs as an appetizer and that set the tone for the rest of the dinner.  They were AMAZING.  Very tender pork ribs with blue cheese and buffalo sauce drizzled over them.  I wish I had gotten a pic of them, but let's just say the rib presentation resembled a Lincoln log cabin.  For dinner I had the bistro steak and opted for a salad on the side.  Both were great!  The steak was cooked perfectly and I kept wondering how the salads I make at home could resemble theirs.  A hush came over the table and it was evident that everyone else was enjoying their meal as well. One couple insisted the burger was the best burger they've ever had.  The only entree that didn't get rave reviews was the pig tacos.

All in all, I would go again and maybe even try something a bit more adventurous the next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment