Saturday, May 11, 2013

"Spring" Break

It snowed the first official day of Spring Break.  I'm not sure what that was about except for maybe Mother Nature getting a good laugh at all of us.  I spent the first few days of my break stay-cationing at home and prepping for my trip to NYC.  I was worried it would be frigidly cold, but luck was on my side! (More on that later.)

Wednesday afternoon I set off on my journey.  The hubs is not the ride-a-bus type, so he was less than thrilled that I would be taking the Bolt Bus to NYC.  A true vacation never starts off without a hitch.  This trip was no different.  I anxiously awaiting my dad's arrival to take me to Union Station.  (Blame the anxiety on my dad's chronic lateness).  Only minutes before he was due to pick me up, he calls to say "I'm not gonna be able to make it."  I am immediately furious, but it turns out he was involved in a three car and one construction truck accident, so I really couldn't be too mad.  The cab I called arrived quickly and I made it to Union Station with enough time to spare.

The wi-fi on BoltBus is a god-send, so I spent most of the time playing on my iPad, which made the trip somewhat bearable.  Although we hit some traffic, I survived the long drive and made it Times Square by 8pm.

My gracious host knew I'd be hungry and had already picked out a restaurant to meet my cuisine needs.  We ate at a really cute Mexican place (my request was chips & salsa and margs) and my plan to eat my way through the city was underway.

(I am just now revisiting this post that has been on draft mode for WEEKS now. oops. So the best I can offer is an abridged recap.  It has been driving me crazy that I've been so slack about blogging, and I don't even have my camera pics uploaded (so these are some iPhone ones, but I digress)

Other highlights of the weekend:

Molly's Cupcakes.  Can we talk about delicious this place was?  I had a Peanut Butter Nutella coffee and Chai latte.  I think it was maybe the best cupcake I've ever had.  Yes, better than Georgetown Cupcakes and my local fave, Bakeshop.  It was also super cute inside and we loved the swing seats.





Salt and Fat. Doesn't that name immediately make you want to eat at that establishment?  It should.    Bacon popcorn, BLT buns, Korean BBQ wraps and the biggest rice krispie
 treat you've ever seen (with a side of marshmallow ice cream). What's not to love?





(I told you I ate my way through NYC).

Other sightseeing included:

Staten Island Ferry


9/11 Memorial



The Friends house
The Cosby Show house
The High Line



We went to the American Museum of Natural History to take in the Our Global Kitchen: Food, Nature, Culture exhibitThe exhibit focuses on how food is grown, transported, cooked, and eaten.  It was eye-opening and very interesting! I have to admit I don't really think about how much food is altered from is natural state, so that was a shock and I also felt quite guilty after learning how much food is wasted in America alone.






My trip ended with a fabulous brunch of PS450.  My only brunch requirement is bottomless mimosas (hello, 3 bottles of champs for 2 of us).  This place took it up a notch with it's DJ (yes!!) and good food.  I highly recommend checking it out.




It was uneventful bus ride home and I'm always thankful for time away from the DMV.  I'm hoping I can sneak in another trip this summer.

Speaking of, only 29 days till summer break!

No comments:

Post a Comment